View Single Post
Old 03-23-2010, 02:33 PM   #235
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsluggo View Post
While I am not in the "we" discussion here (i am not a republican)... I think many Davis Frum's strategic observations here are on teh mark.

http://www.frumforum.com/waterloo
So it's talk radio's fault? (BTW, the observations about talk radio wanting conflict are basically true.)

I guess the reason I don't agree with you (or Davis Frum) is that it seems to me that the Republicans made quite a few alternative proposals, all of which were rebuffed. The universal mandate (with or without public option) was correctly seen as a stepping stone to a single payer system, and the Democrats weren't going to compromise on that.

Bear in mind that I'm not a big fan of the national Republican party. I just don't see what they could have realistically done to achieve compromise in this instance.