View Single Post
Old 06-23-2011, 02:04 PM   #66
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

What I would argue that when you couple clutch performance plus overall playoff numbers that you'll quickly see that Dirk is almost without comparison when it comes to playoffs. I haven't even mentioned Dirk's numbers when it's win or go home..

And another way to look at it is this.. Dirk has maintained his efficiency offensively in the regular season and in the playoffs despite historically not having all that much fire power around him.

Again, I won't argue that playoff numbers are everything..but in basketball as opposed as to some other sports when looking at historical relevance, playoff numbers play a much bigger role in determining one's place among the greats.

If you've got two players that are close in the eyeball test, close in regular season PER, give me the guy that performs at a higher level in the playoffs especially when he put on perhaps the greatest run of clutch play that this league has seen in our lifetime.

As for you being a troll.. I don't buy it. You're providing an argument that isn't popular..and one that might be a bit off base in some areas. But, you might be spot on in others. People on this forum are quick to yell "troll" but very slow to get into an intelligent sports debate with someone that doesn't share their opinions.

As for WS/48 or PER being the be all end all.. Well, I'm with you. I don't think that they are either. But, they're just about the best that we've got. I try to look at other numbers to back up my argument such as performance in the clutch (which Dirk has done at a high level for quite some time), and performance when your back is against the wall...and what all you have to work with on your team. Again, I lean more heavily towards playoff numbers when alot of the regular season numbers are fairly close to comparable simply because that's just how it's done in the NBA. It's my opinion that many of the greats could have put up better numbers in the regular season if that's what was called for. But the post season is obviously what these guys are playing for. I firmly believe that dirk could have averaged 28-30 a game while maintaining his efficiency. His post season numbers against the best the league has to offer seem to back up that opinion.

And I would also argue that Dirk is highly underrated defensively especially as a man to man defender. No, he's not a great help side defender at this point in his career. But, I do believe that he is a solid on the ball defender. It's odd.. I would have said the opposite about Dirk 8-9 years ago.

Last edited by Murphy3; 06-23-2011 at 02:11 PM.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote