View Single Post
Old 01-24-2016, 10:46 PM   #87
Robillion
Golden Member

Robillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant future

Looks like djb will either decide to continue operating if it gets sponsored, or close it regardless, even with monetary offers.

I will finish setting up MavsForums.com, and will update everyone here (if it's still open) later in the week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robillion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robillion View Post
How much could the costs possibly be for the amount of activity the site gets? Seems to me shared hosting could work? Even if the traffic was high, there are multiple ways to monetize.

Could someone send me or share details, because I'm confused as to why someone else couldn't easily take over hosting. I have hosting space myself...

Not to mention, growing user engagement and monetizing web traffic is my profession. http://linkedin.com/in/robmcarpenter
I'm wondering how I could help, because to me there is plenty more opportunity for growth with dallas-mavs.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by djb
The shutdown has little to do with the monetary aspect. The site is just seeing minimal use these days with traffic at an all-time low. And that, combined with my complete lack of respect for cuban (based on personal dealings with him), has made it difficult for me to even want to continue supporting him/his team through this site as I have done for the last 15+ years. Don't get me wrong, if people were actually making use of the forums, I would gladly keep it going. But it's just not worth it for the half dozen or so new posts that are made each day. And because of the size of the database, shared hosting would work only if traffic remained as abysmal as its been (and if that's the case, what's the point?), although the traffic/usage generated by the gameday threads could still potentially slow things down to a crawl as had been known to happen before we switched to a dedicated box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robillion
All understandable if you have no further interest in running the board. Though there are still plenty of members that would prefer to still have the site up and running, in some capacity.

Would you be willing to transfer ownership to someone else? I started setting up mavsforums.com just in case, but many want to have their account data saved: post count, rep, posts, etc. The data could either be transferred over to the new forum, or someone could just take over responsibility and hosting of this current forum.

The forums are not as popular as they once were, but that doesn't mean they do not have utility or opportunity to become popular again. I'm not the only one that would like to see this forum remain open, but I am willing to take over responsibility.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djb
I've received offers for the site (even one in the five figure range) but am just not interested in transferring ownership at this time. Our current server host/admin has expressed interest in sponsoring the site so that's something under consideration right now.
Robillion is offline   Reply With Quote