View Single Post
Old 01-27-2016, 03:23 PM   #120
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb View Post
I've put in tens of thousands of dollars along with countless hours of my time into this site over the last 15+ years. And yet here you are, with your <1 post/week average, somehow thinking as if you have the right to call me out and demand that I simply hand it over? Deciding to close the site after years of significant decline was an extremely difficult decision for me, but one I sure has hell don't need to defend or justify to you. I'll definitely miss a lot of the longstanding members here, especially those who have been here since the very beginning, but entitled trolls like you? Yea not so much.
I'm not calling you out and demanding that you simply hand it over, and I'm certainly not unaware as to what's involved in either the money or time commitment department. I've been involved in a very large, high-traffic online gaming forum myself that is similar in many ways to this forum for more than 15 years. Sadly, it came to an end in November 2015 because the person who owned the domain name and who was hosting the dedicated server decided that he didn't have the time or desire to be involved anymore, and when some others requested that he give them admin permissions, so they could take care of the day-to-day operation, he just pulled the plug. Kind of a take the ball and go home attitude. Nothing was transferred or allowed to continue because the domain name holder just turned it off. He left the entire community in the lurch. This wasn't the desire of even a small minority of the community. One person made this decision, and it impacted ten thousand + of members.

While it is certainly your right to terminate the forum because you own the domain name, I don't think you have any ownership rights over the community that coalesced around the forum you provided. The community is made up of Maverick fans for the most part and even the Dallas Mavericks don't own them. While I commend you for notifying the community and stating your specific reasons (and I don't disagree with you in your assessment of Cuban), I am thinking more about the community itself that would be cast adrift if the site were simply turned off. I am sure I'm a bit more sensitive to this considering what I've already experienced and related above. I'm just thinking about the people left behind. That's the only reason I'm saying anything. I've certainly got other things on my plate that are more important than putting myself in a position to be called out as an entitled troll. LOL If I didn't think there was something worth preserving from the fruits of your endeavor, then I wouldn't have said anything. In the end, it's really about the people here and not about Cuban or even the Maverick players.

Again, it's your decision, and I certainly don't dispute that.

Best of luck in your future endeavors,
Turin

Last edited by turin; 01-27-2016 at 04:00 PM.
turin is offline   Reply With Quote