View Single Post
Old 04-05-2023, 10:55 AM   #52
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
Two of my favorite guys in this draft are Houston Cougars.

Jarace Walker is a 6'9" wrecking ball that's built like a Isaiah Stewart or Bismack Biyombo, but is more perimeter oriented.

Marcus Sasser is this year's Desmond Bane. Undersized 2 who can shoot and compete on defense.

It's a pipe dream, but would love to walk away with both of those guys. I'm also not opposed to taking Sasser at 10.
Sasser would be an excellent target to buy into the 2nd round, if he gets there. I like Walker a lot, seems to have some of that tenacity this team lacks and of course would fill a role with defense and...rebounding! He's a solid all around player that likely won't last even until 10.

Another guy I like a lot who likely won't be there is Taylor Hendricks. Great scorer at 6'9 including excellent outside shooting. Rebounds very well for his position. He would be plug and play here, but I think he goes top 5.

I've said I'm a Hogs fan before, so I'll give my two cents on the draftable guys.

Nick Smith Jr. is essentially Jaden Hardy, so I would only want the Mavs to draft him if we use Hardy in a trade. Smith potential is through the roof, but it's hard to justify risking a top 10 pick on a 19-year-old who had a mystery knee ailment and missed so much time his freshman year. Still, the talent is big time.

Black is such a good player and great kid. He's a DFW native and would fit in great here. My reservation is his style is very reminiscent of Luka's, which wouldn't be a bad thing for depth. His shooting leaves a lot to be desired, but something I think will come along as the spacing for the Hogs this year was abysmal. He would provide excellent defense, ball handling skills, passing, and downhill playmaking, aka another guy who has no issue taking it to the lane and finishing well.

Ricky Council IV is a target in the second round. A wing scorer who is decent on defense. He has the length and athleticism to be fine there. Explosive scorer with punch at the rim, shoots well despite the stats (went through a real tough stretch), and rebounds well for his size, though the effort can use a bit more consistency. He would be a draft and stash on the G league squad to see if any of the above can translate to the NBA.

As for the other prospects:

Someone mentioned Grady Dick as an option. I'm all for it as the shooting would be more than welcome, but will his defense translate to the league? A lot of people were surprised by that portion of his game being a plus last year.

Cam Whitmore is intriguing as I think he has more to tap into. He has the size, strength, and athleticism to be a shut down defensive wing. Very capable from deep. Had an up and down year for 'Nova but seemed to end it well, despite the dud last game in the Big East tourney.

Anyone know more on Rayan Rupert? He's got super intriguing size and wing span that would be an almost plug and play on the wing. Big time length. Couldn't find much on shooting as they were older write-ups, but they basically said his shot was a work in progress, though smooth. That coupled with that he not a big shot creator, might work against his favor in comparing to other guys in this range.

Someone mentioned lack of bigs, which is largely correct, but GG Jackson might be a sleeper. He's already getting lotto love. He's got a different skill set in that his comp is Bam Adebayo. Not seeing the same rebounding intensity, but capable with room to fill in on his frame.

Cason Wallace is a guy mocked closer to late lotto, but a very quick guard who would help tremendously on the perimeter on defense. Excellent scorer with upside to his shooting, and rebounds well for his position. Not sure this is the direction Mavs would go if Kyrie retained, though.

My new pet favorite is Jordan Hawkins. The kid simply made a lot of money with his play in the tournament. Exploded on the scene with his excellent shooting. He was constantly compared to Ray Allen and I would gladly add this kid to the rotation.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote