View Single Post
Old 08-23-2007, 11:33 AM   #23
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavdog
as it relates to the idea that democracy itself will "defang" countries where extremism is alive, the experience in palestine (the rise of an elected hamas dominated government) and what is occuring in iraq dispells that notion.

The proposition that the removal of hussein was critical to america's security is merely the justification the current administration sought to launch the war.
I suspect that alot of big-wigs in washington are enamoured with the so-called "democratic peace theory." In my view it's quite conceivable that the powers-that-be really want to spread the blessings of democracy across the globe, however quixotic such a quest might be.

this not an unmitigated good, imo, as a crusade to spread democracy is quite likely to resemble....well....a crusade. That is, the white man's burden has and will become the western liberal's burden, and all that this entails.

as for the specific case of Iraq.....it really wasn't that hard to guess what a democratic iraq might look like: a sharia based shiite dominated government with close ties to Iran and a desire to nuke Israel.

nowadays, Bush and friends are just shocked, SHOCKED, that Malaki is making overtures to Ahmadinejad, an event which should only come as a huge surprise to those who can't find iraq and iran on a globe. (of course, life insurance premiums on Maliki have gone through the roof recently as he prepares for the ngoh dinh diem treatment)

anyhoo....i don't know how much of the liberating iraq stuff was pre-text and how much was bonafide....either way it doesn't set real well with me.

cheers