View Single Post
Old 06-13-2005, 12:55 AM   #28
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Dallas | Philadelphia (7 Player Trade)

Okay, guys, you have talked me off the ledge. I'll go along with you on this one...but not without reservations that the best we can hope for is second-best team in the conference.

GMC, about your breakdowns by position...

I sure hope you are right about the one. I don't hold any doubt that this position held us back this year. I do expect Harris to improve sooner rather than later. I just hope it happens soon enough, and that it's enoug when it does happen. On Terry, I don't expect significant improvement from him. To me, he's shown what he is: a guy who can get hot and score 25, and a guy who's not particularly adept at getting his teammates in position to score. He's an ideal bench player--the kind of guy who can really make a difference off the bench--but not much more than that.

I, too, think that Finley still has a lot to contribute, especially in next year's postseason.

Howard is, to me, an intriguing player. I think--and I'm completely serious about this--that he could average 20 in this league. As opposed to Damp, I see him as very much the ideal pairing with Dirk at the three. His star is only going to rise.

At the four and five, I'm hopeful that KVH can make a big contribution next year. I worry, however, that he doesn't a firm place in Avery's system, outside of backing up Dirk for ten minutes a game. And Dampier...I'm sorry, but I don't expect anything more from him than what he gave us this year. It almost pisses me off--no, wait, it DOES piss me off--that he had such a good game after Dirk called him out in these playoffs. If he brought that kind of effort every game, or at least in every important game, I'd be square on his bandwagon. But his apparent ignorance of big-game situations irks me. His apparent indifference to whether the Mavs win or lose irks me. That's what worries me about this team. I worry that they have a lot invested--and I'm not talking about money--in a guy who can't be counted on to show up when the chips are down.

If that changes next year, I'll be more than happy to sing the guy's praises. But the problem is that I can't be convinced that it will. Sometimes you just have to realize that what you see is what you get.

The thing is, I think that Dampier is absolutely crucial to our playoff success the next few years. He HAS to be a difference when we play San Antonio. I'm holding out hope that he will be, but I'm also nervous that we make it that far.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote