View Single Post
Old 11-21-2009, 03:43 PM   #173
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Two random former-Mavs observations:

Brandon Bass looks to be the 11th man on the Orlando Magic. He got a DNP-CD last night and his minutes have plummeted since Lewis came back. He probably wants a do-over on that contract right about now.

Segana Diop has played five minutes all season. Five minutes. His only statistical contribution for the season is two turnovers. He's very clearly the 12th man on the roster, behind some 21 year old backup center that I've never heard of.

That is easily the worst contract in the NBA, right? I don't know what's more mind boggling: the fact the we gave him that contract or that Charlotte traded for it after seeing a third of a season of him last year. With the current team playing so well, I'm going to focus on the fact that Donnie found a way to offload that horrendous contract, and try to forget the fact that he drew it up.
From what I recall nobody else was knocking down Bass' door to give him $4MM? I think we offered him less but I'm not sure how much he'd be playing on a healthy Mavericks team either. A player like Bass has to take the money when it's there.

It is good to see Orlando get such a small return on the the $10MM they're spending on Bass and Gortat. Speaking of which, his PER is down from 17.04 last year to 11.86. Not saying that's what we would have gotten out of him because there's at least a chance that he'd perform better with more consistent minutes. For whatever reason he's not performing like a $6MM player for them.

I didn't think Diop's contract was that bad when we signed him. Not that I thought he was worth the full MLE but you normally have to overpay by a million or two to lure another teams FA. But since he signed that deal he's played like a vet min. guy. If it's not the worst contract in the league it's in the discussion.