Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road
Default RE:Mavs say Finley is staying put

The Oregonian
John Canzano
If Wallace wants to go, get it done

11/09/03

Portland's official candlelight trade vigil began Saturday, kicked off in the most unlikely corner of the Trail Blazers' locker room.

Rasheed Wallace had barely digested the Blazers' 90-83 victory over Atlanta.

He had just pulled on a pair of jeans and an Oakland Raiders replica jersey.

And here he was, baring his soul.

"I don't give a (expletive) about no trade rumors," he said. "As long as somebody CTC, at the end of the day I'm with them."

CTC?

"For all you that don't know what CTC means, that's 'Cut The Check,' " Wallace said.

Ahhh, you can almost hear Cuba Gooding Jr. shouting it from the locker-room showers now.

This expression of loyalty for his checking account was ignited when Wallace was asked about a rumored deal that apparently had the Blazers sending Wallace and Bonzi Wells to Dallas for Michael Finley and Antawn Jamison.

Wallace apparently knows there are banks in Texas.

Probably really big ones.

So, I guess that's plenty of loyalty for him.

Blazers general manager John Nash and president Steve Patterson say no such deal is on the table. To Nash and Patterson, I say, get on the phone early today, call the Mavericks and see if you can make it happen.

The salary exchange for both teams would be a virtual wash. The talent exchange would be acceptable for both sides. And it's no secret that Mavericks coach Don Nelson is among those left who covet Wallace, a free agent at the end of the season.

What we've suspected all along was finally revealed: Wallace's loyalty doesn't extend to the city he plays in or even the teammate who dresses beside him. Maybe Wallace's heart has been hardened by the boos he hears when he's introduced at the Rose Garden. Or maybe he never cared about anything more than the $17 million he'll make this season.

"I just go out there and play," Wallace said. "Again, somebody just CTC."

On the bright side, it finally appears that the Blazers are communicating. And that they're on the same page.

N either Nash nor Patterson nor Wells nor Wallace nor coach Maurice Cheeks stood up, stomped a foot and said there was no way this deal would be acceptable. In fact, all parties have probably joined fans in silently imagining how wonderful things can be when the scenery changes.

Cheeks deserves this trade just as much as fans do.

The Mavericks and Blazers engaged in trade talks in the offseason, with Wallace being the player Dallas wanted most. Portland backed out, however, when the Mavericks said that Steve Nash and Dirk Nowitzki were untouchable.

That was before Dallas landed Jamison, a good character who would look pretty imposing right about now playing alongside forward Zach Randolph.

But before we get ahead of ourselves, keep in mind, this is a rumor, right? Right?

"That deal isn't on the table right now," Nash said.

So why not call Dallas today and put it on the table?

It's the roster makeover fans have been waiting for. It sets the franchise free from "Dirty 30" and the guard dubbed "Goldfinger" by clever fans. And it certainly would result in a sharp attendance spike at the Rose Garden.

What we're really talking about here is hope.

Hope for the future of the franchise. Hope for the remainder of the season. A reason, any reason, to believe this season is headed somewhere better.

Wallace started the vigil. It will continue until he's gone.

The rumor, shot down by Dallas owner Mark Cuban as "bull," spread through the Rose Garden like wildfire Saturday.

And nobody in the 7,000 empty seats objected either.

John Canzano: 503-294-5065; johncanzano@aol.com
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote