View Single Post
Old 12-19-2009, 11:57 AM   #1588
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkenstien View Post
Before this season they also didn't have a legitimate chance at winning it all. They are now the deepest and possibly best team in the East. They were a solid team last year but not many people outside the organization expected them to overachieve like they did.

I think once they decided to make their move for Vince Carter their focus shifted towards going all in and decided going into luxury tax territory was finally worth it. Gortat is expensive insurance to keep them competitive should Howard go down. As long as they're winning and especially if they win the championship I don't see them auctioning off that insurance to the highest bidder. If they happen to struggle in the playoffs, though, then that could certainly change their perspective but I think Bass would be shipped out before Gortat, especially with how Ryan Anderson has been performing for them.
Define Howard "going down". Orlando is not going to be a competitive team if Howard goes down for any appreciable amount of time. That team is built around the dude, which is why Gortat deal again doesn't make sense. Gortat isn't good enough to replace what Howard gives them, especially if Howard ever goes down for an extended stretch. And if Howard were to go down in the playoffs, they can just kiss their chances good bye. The only way Gortat provides insurance in the Howard injury scenario is if it were for a small stretch. And in that case, you are paying an awful lot of money for a minimal amount of insurance.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote