View Single Post
Old 11-30-2004, 11:17 AM   #64
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

Poindexter Einstein will become famous soon enough
Default RE: Dampier - 73 million, Devin Harris...

"quite honestly he seems cold and out of it, at times"

This and comments like it get tossed in at times. And it is likely part of what may drive the anti-Damp people - he often doesnt look like he is involved.

I agree that he SEEMS this way, but I think it is a wrong conclusion. I just think that is his nature - he is quiet, almost shy, very internal. He gives the appearance of being lost in another world - but he isnt.

On the court, it comes off as lack of intensity. But I really believe it is all an unintentional mask, that arises out of his natural demeanor. He is just "going about his business" and people get the wrong idea of what is going on in his head.
So people comment that he is cold, he is out of it, he isnt trying, and so on. I can see why GS fans ragged on him that he is lazy, etc - but his work ethic is incredible according to his teammates and coaches, so the fans are getting a wrong impression somewhere.

I think it is from his demeanor. When you play low post, you are out of the offensive flow at times, waiting for things to develop. You can do very little (other than stand there) in many sets when you are on the off side from the ball. You come down the floor, a side is cleared out for Dirk or Stack or whoever, they take a shot, and you dont have a shot at a rebound, and it looks like you are doing nothing. Put that alongside his demeanor, and it is easy to see why some would think "he doesnt try hard."
Poindexter Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote