View Single Post
Old 10-15-2008, 01:24 PM   #102
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof
From my point of view, I do think a fear of taxes is based in attachment to worldly possessions, as is a fear in anything (physical failure, time taxes), and that attachment will be man's downfall. And I find it hard to believe that Jesus or any holy prophet would complain about higher taxes though.
Fear of taxes is rooted in the premise that private citizens are more efficient with their assets individually than the government is with all of those assets confiscated under a central authority. Most of us believe in the wisdom of crowds, and the concept that a quarter billion people each fulfilling their own needs, wants & discretions results in a more efficient distribution and consumption of assets than through central planning.

More taxes -> more central planning -> less efficiency -> less capital available -> lower standard of living.

More taxes -> less personal discretionary income -> less incentive to earn discretionary income and/or produce goods & services consumed with discretionary income -> slowed employer growth -> fewer jobs, wage stagnation

Or, you could take the simple route of more taxes -> less personal discretionary income -> less individual liberty.

Anything ending in "less individual liberty" should be enough for any sane American to at least think twice, but these days, I'm really beginning to wonder.

The end. There will be a test on Friday.

Last edited by Rhylan; 10-15-2008 at 01:26 PM.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote