View Single Post
Old 01-23-2009, 11:17 PM   #97
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's pretty cool, actually. We aren't talking about the 53-man final roster. We're talking about spot #80 in traning camp. I would be willing to bet that even if you watch every Cowboys preseason game and read the training camp news, I could find ten names from last year's training camp that you know next to nothing about. And who's to say they are going to bring a bunch of fat, balding guys to the show? I'm sure the contestants will be legitimate football players, and that the winner will be just as warm a body as whoever else would have filled that last spot.

When you think about it, it's not necessarily much different from Dallas Day, where they bring in local players for a tryout. I think they do that at least in part to stimulate interest and support from the local community. Every once in a while you get a Tyson Thompson, but usually those guys never make it to camp.

And of course, there's that Philadelphia Eagles story about the local tryout they held and that one guy actually ended up making the team and having an impact. In that respect, this sort of thing is not entirely unprecedented.

Last edited by chumdawg; 01-23-2009 at 11:17 PM.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote