View Single Post
Old 02-11-2009, 03:18 PM   #109
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute
Default a taste of fluff...

Returning Toe Form
RB Jones Not Far From A Full Recovery

link

IRVING, Texas - As of mid-February, running back Felix Jones admits he's not as fast as he has been.

But he's not far off.

In fact, Jones said Tuesday that he expects to not only participate in next month's off-season workouts, but doesn't see any reason why he won't be able to practice with the team during the OTA (Organized Team Activity) practices in May or even the mini-camp in June.

"I'm getting ready - rehabbing, doing fine. I'm ready for the off-season workouts," Jones said. "It's coming along great. I don't have any problems with (the toe). I'll be ready for the off-season workouts."

After an electrifying start to his rookie season in 2008, which included touchdowns in his first three games, Jones suffered a hamstring injury against Arizona in Week 6. While Jones initially expected to practice the following Wednesday, it was discovered that the running back had a partially torn hamstring that would force him out for more than a month.

However, just when it appeared Jones was ready to get back into action, the Cowboys found that he needed season-ending toe surgery to repair a torn ligament beneath his left great toe. The surgery, performed in Charlotte, N.C. on Nov. 22, put him in a walking boot for the rest of the season.

"It was really frustrating not to play with my teammates," said Jones, who averaged 8.9 yards on his 30 carries, scoring three touchdowns. "I thought I would be able to play through the injuries, but the doctors wanted me to have the surgery. It's not easy to watch the guys, but I understand. I'll be ready to go this year."

Cowboys head trainer Jim Maurer said Jones, like nearly all of the players, will be able to participate in the off-season workouts. Although some of the players, including Jones, will work on a limited basis, depending on the nature of the injury. Maurer said the Cowboys will likely limit Jones' lower-body work, at least early on, to prevent any type of setback in his daily rehab.

Jones said recovering from the toe injury is his only current concern.

"The hammy is fine," Jones said of his initial injury. "It's just my toe, really. But that's coming along fine. I've had the boot off for a couple of weeks now. I'm working pretty hard to get back."

And just how hard is that?

"Man, I'm up here every day," Jones said with his usual ear-to-ear smile. "I've been in the training room every day. That's what it takes to get back. I want to be better than last year. So you have to work hard."

Offensive coordinator Jason Garret has seen Jones so much at Valley Ranch lately that he even offered some friendly advice to the speedy back.

"Coach Garrett told me to find a place to sleep up here, because I've been up here every day," said Jones, who added that his recent talks with the offensive coordinator haven't progressed to a greater role in the offense just yet.

"Right now, he tells me to get my foot right and get better," Jones said. "Right now, they're worried about my health. But I'm sure we'll talk about that at some point."

Last season, Jones wasn't regularly involved on offense, particularly in the first Redskins game when he didn't receive a single offensive touch with no carries or receptions. The Cowboys did come back the following week and gave Jones a bigger role in the game plan against the Bengals, where he had nine carries for 96 yards and a touchdown - a 33-yard sweep around the corner.

That was one of a few big plays from Jones, who scored on a 98-yard kickoff return against Philadelphia and a 60-yard run against the Packers. Both plays occurred on the national stage.

But despite missing game because of an injury for the first time since his junior season in high school, Jones isn't worried about if he'll return to speed, just when.

"No, I have no doubts at all," Jones said. "I've been working hard every day. I'm just anxious to get out there again. I learned a lot this year. I'm looking forward to taking it all in and having a better year next year. I just want to be healthy."

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote