View Single Post
Old 11-10-2008, 05:16 AM   #17
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Smoov View Post
I agree, but I am just saying his playoff performance is not up to par with a team like the Mavs who is needing a coach with winning playoff experience to help them mentally. When I look at Carlise playoff record and success, it reminds me of Avery, when early success in the playoffs melted down to doing worse and worse each year afterwards.
You couldn't be more wrong about Carlisle. He's never had any meltdowns. The only series he lost that you could argue he should've won was in 03 when his Pistons lost to the Nets.

The next year, when his Pacers lost to the Pistons, they lost to the better team. The Pacers did have the best record that year, yes, but remember that Detroit acquired Rasheed right before the deadline. That was HUGE. If Detroit had Rasheed from the season opener, they might've had the best record. I mean, c'mon, Chauncey Billups against Jamaal Tinsley? Tayshaun Prince against a 40-year-old Reggie Miller? Detroit was the better team, hands down. Didn't that Detroit team also go on to win the championship 4 games to 1 against the heavily favored Lakers? I believe they did.

And the only reason the Pacers did "worse and worse each year" after that was because of the brawl. Remember the beginning of the 05 season? The Pacers were favored to win the East. Then Artest gets suspended for the rest of the season, with Stephen Jackson and JO missing significant time too. The Pacers never recovered from that because JO could never stay healthy, not to mention Jackson's well-documented off-court problems.

Carlisle's coaching in Indiana was outstanding IMO. After the brawl, the Pacers were expected to have one of the worst records in the league, and they still managed to make the playoffs that year and get out of the first round. Indiana's downfall was anything but Carlisle's fault.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 11-10-2008 at 05:22 AM.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote