View Single Post
Old 07-01-2008, 05:44 PM   #99
jefelump

jefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
And the whole "civic dutry to protect our neighborhood" stuff is bs. Police protect our neighborhoods. People that are trained to answer the "unknowns" that you listed, and make the decision regarding deadly force.
See my prior post. I do not rely solely on the police for protection. I do not want to be shot 5 minutes before the police arrive.

Quote:
Protecting your neighborhood with your gun is the way it worked in the 1800's. It's not necessary anymore, unless you are in actual danger.
That's one man's opinion, which I respect. However, one of my neighbors sits outside regularly, with a handgun on his side, just watching the street. I have no problem with this. Everyone knows it, and people don't mess with him.

Quote:
I find it interesting that arguments like this generally find conservatives on the side of "screw them, they deserved to die" and when arguing abortion, conseratives argue that all life is sacred. Very hypocritical.

I'm a conservative that believes in the value of life. I'm against abortion and I'm against people having the right to gun down someone running away with their rolex.
When it comes down to a criminal (and in this case a repeat offender), then yes, screw them. They get what they deserve. When it comes to abortion, you're talking about an unborn child who has done nothing to deserve being aborted. You can't really compare the two. Sure, life is life, but at the same time the criminal chose his lifestyle and got what was coming to him. I find no hypocrisy in this. By your same argument you are therefore opposed to the death penalty, based on the "sanctity of life" argument.

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain

'Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,'
--Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Last edited by jefelump; 07-01-2008 at 05:46 PM.
jefelump is offline   Reply With Quote