View Single Post
Old 08-26-2020, 04:53 PM   #334
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukaThaDonPart2 View Post
Bucks are boycotting game 5 and Raptors may boycott round 2 Game 1.

Sorry but boycotting games is dumb. How is boycotting a basketball game going to stop a random cop from killing a black man in the state of ? USA. Is the cop going to think twice because they didn't play a few basketball games? I know it's just gathering more attention to the cause but I just don't think it's actually going to change anything.

What would have been even dumber would have been cancelling the season over it and not having the bubble in the first place which I think there was some discussions about that.

Instead of focusing on the few bad apple cops this seems more like blame all police forces good or bad and blame all white people good or bad to me. It just feels very political to me. I believe even a good cause can get corrupted by the wrong people.

I'm sorry you feel that way. IMO the "few bad apples" argument loses all merit when police unions and the supposed good apples go out of their way to protect the bad apples.

We need a bottom up culture change in America with an emphasis on mental health and preventative care. We need to stop militarizing our police. I say make the job more lucrative by paying cops more, while simultaneously shifting resources to domestic dispute and mental health response teams. The last thing we need is white people feeling victimized by the very conversation. I agree the cause has been hijacked to some extent by more radical or self-serving elements (much like our executive branch) but, that doesn't change the underlying facts.

Quote:
In those instances in which the victim appeared to pose a minimal-or-less threat to police, based on the data we had, Black people were three times as likely to be killed,” Miller says. “That doesn’t mean the police didn’t feel threatened. But based on the reports that we were able to to look at, a very low level of threat was directed at the police. And in those specific cases, the numbers rose for Black people: They made up 36 percent of the deaths.”
Miller adds that his study, which was released in March, was not an outlier on the issue of race in police shootings.
“Many other studies have shown that Black people are more likely to be killed per capita by law enforcement than are white people in the United States,” Miller says. “That is not a disputed statistic.”
https://news.northeastern.edu/2020/0...led-by-police/

Last edited by tap2390; 08-26-2020 at 04:54 PM.
tap2390 is offline   Reply With Quote