View Single Post
Old 10-26-2004, 01:08 PM   #44
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

Psychedelic Fuzz is on a distinguished road
Default RE:ESPN Insider: Chad Ford's take on the Mavs

Quote:
Originally posted by: fifteenth man
Nellie has a system. It's just that he puts a premium on letting his best players be who they are within the system, like he did with Nick, and like he does with Dirk. Being the starting PG with Nellie may be a little harder since he leans on his PG so much. He really molded Nash into the PG he wanted. A lot of coaching went into what Nash became, and I think the same thing is being done now with the two new guys.

The thing about 2 passers on the floor isn't new. They've always talked about that. They used to talk about it the context of getting Nash his shots off of screens. I think having at least two good passers has always been a part of what Nellie wants to do.

I didn't say he doesn't have a system. I said it's not a rigid system where Terry and Harris will be forced to ignore their individual strengths and do things exactly the way Nash did them.

The two passers thing and getting Nash more shots was talked about in the context of the reviled "point forward." It didn't work then, but it proves my point that Nellie will play to the strength of his players the same way he tried to capitalize on Nash's shooting and Walker's passing.

Psychedelic Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote