View Single Post
Old 04-06-2010, 03:35 PM   #24
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
As for the drug analogy, I'm having a hard time grasping your point. You are talking about individual responsibility in place of collective responsibility. How are you, the individual, going to prevent a stranger from taking drugs? (Assuming you would want to, that is.)
I am not going to prevent a stranger from taking drugs --- just like you aren't going to remove guns from a stranger by making them illegal. How are you going to remove all guns from unlawful people?

Yes, it might save a few lives if guns were illegal because of accidents. It also might cost thousands or millions of lives because guns are a strength equalizer.

Example: I hear women here in America say that they would not ever be treated like the women "seem" to be in some Muslim countries. You know the veil, and walking three steps behind the man, the harems, etc.

Why can they say that? because with a gun, they could kill a man - any man. Without it, their chances have decreased immensely. Women (in general and not any specifically) have the rights that men give them, or that they are willing to pick up an equalizer and take the chance of dying for. It is the same everywhere -- the strong will overpower the weak, IF they cannot either equalize the fight or drastically outnumber the opponent. What do you think these same women would be saying, if they were raised in those countries though?

So when you get to individual responsibility versus collective responsibility -- you get to the point of who's version of "right", when you speak collectively versus the version of "right" seen individually. (History is written by the victor)

Does might make right?
Remember slavery was once legal in the US, and they had the might to enforce it --- so did that make it "right" at that time?

I do not have to agree with the collective masses -- else I become just like the German people during WWII times. I can control one person, myself. I have the choice of either living within the boundaries set by the collective or trying to think for myself, and living/dying with the consequences.

The biggest difference is, I don't fear death.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote