View Single Post
Old 06-14-2006, 08:47 PM   #30
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

This is a hard list to compose, but I'll take a shot at it...

5. Patton - The ultimate anti-counterculture film, glorifying the career of a true American original in that old cavalryman, George 'Blood and Guts' Patton. This film features an incredible performance by George C. Scott, and also boasts one of the greatest themes in the history of hollywood soundtracks...

4. Aliens - The first movie in this series is a masterwork of sci-fi/horror, but Aliens stands as one of the few sequels to a great movie in hollywood history that truly managed to improve upon it's predecessor (Godfather II being possibly the only other one). The special effects are absolutely amazing considering this film was produced in the pre-digital age (it stands with Blade Runner and the Star Wars flicks as having probably the best model-based Sci-Fi effects ever put on film), the characters and action are completely, immersably believable, and the H.R. Giger designed aliens have never looked as menacing and terrifying as they do in this flick. As Bill Paxton might say about most of the Sci-Fi/Adventure films that attempted to follow in the footsteps of this genre-creating giant over the last two decades, hoping to equal or surpass the greatness of James Cameron's Aliens: 'Game Over Man!'... None of them even came close.

3. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly - I've got to agree with SaltWater here, as this is the best of the great Clint Eastwood spaghetti western trilogy (along with For a Few Dollars More, and A Fistful of Dollars). Any movie featuring the snake-faced Lee Van Cleef in a villains role is bound to be good (the Octagon, Escape From New York), but his sneering malevolence was never more perfectly showcased than when it served as foil to Clint's steely demeanor, and there is no better example of that complimentary on-screen chemistry than in this film.

2. Team America: World Police - Puppet Sex and 'Dirka, Dirka, Dirka! Mohammed, Mohammed, Jihad!'. Enough said...

1. Transformers the Movie - This film features arguably the most distinguished voice cast in the history of American animated films (Leonard Nimoy, Robert Stack, Orson Welles in his last performance, Eric Idle, Casey Casem, Judd Nelson, and Peter 'Optimus Prime' Cullen), and going back to my early youth, I've probably watched the thing something like 800 times. Now I grew up as a huge transformers fan, and I still remember being shocked to my core the first time I watched this movie, because it was the first and only American transformers cartoon that featured the robots routinely blasting each other to pieces and actually killing each other (killing permanently!), so thusly this movie will always hold a special place in my heart...

Last edited by Evilmav2; 06-14-2006 at 10:30 PM.
Evilmav2 is offline   Reply With Quote