View Single Post
Old 06-14-2006, 11:57 PM   #35
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterChaffy
5. Citizen Kane - This is obviously one of (if not the) most critically acclaimed film of all time. Most of its detractors usually don't like older films, or feel it hasn't aged well. I feel that it is still as relevant today as it was when it was released. This film is a masterpiece of directing, lighting, cinematography, sound, and acting. It is often considered revolutionary for some of the above elements. The advances that it made in those formal film elements had been done before, but this was (to my knowledge) the first movie that combined the most recent advances in all of the categories. The use of perspective and deep-focus is amazing, and the character of Charles Foster Kane is one of the best ever put to film. It also features one of the most famous "Macguffins" of all time. Amazing picture, and I am not one to argue its repeated placement on top of "Greatest Films" lists.

4. Kill Bill Volumes 1 & 2 - Quentin Tarantino is often accused of being a plagiarist. Some film scholars consider this to be his most plagiaristic work, combining elements of several different genres, stealing shots, etc. I'm not quite at the level of those scholars, so I can't speak to all of those things, but I will say this. If he does steal film elements, he has stolen some of the best and put them together into a breathtaking set of films. These two don't exactly excite me on the formal level, but they are so exhilirating that I get chills while watching them. Volume 1 is excessively (though cartoony) violent, but it also contains some beautiful shots. The snow fight near the end of the picture leaves me in awe. Volume 2 has the "Tarantino" dialogue that many felt was missing from Volume 1. I think Carradine is fantastic as Bill, and Uma Thurman was the perfect "Bride."
These are the only ones i've seen on your list. They made me watch Citizen Kane in film class, and i was shocked how much i enjoyed it. If it weren't for this movie, i probably wouldn't have appreciated or enjoyed some of the Elements in Sin City.

As far as Kill Bill go, all of Tarantino's films are very enjoyable, and Kill Bill 1&2 aren't any different. The best parts of the movie are the writing and background music.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote