View Single Post
Old 05-31-2010, 11:03 AM   #275
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
A huge part of the problem with our health-care system today is that far too much money is funneled through insurers, which keeps patients from controlling and allocating their own health-care dollars more efficiently and which also adds an unnecessary layer of costs.
yeah....in the system we have the consumer of health care is almost completely detached from the cost which means a) there's little or no price based competition on the front-lines; and b) no economic calculation goes into whether a service is needed in the first place.

All the Liberals in the house will shout 'the need for a health care service is bigger than greedy little economic concerns', but then again Liberals probably wouldn't be Liberals if they ever worried about the problem of scarcity of goods and services in any economy.

Anyhoo....I think an interesting little thought experiment is to imagine what the auto-care industry might be like if the consumer were substantially detached from the costs of repairs.

"$820 to replace the air in my tires and rotate my windshield wipers? Seems a bit steep to me, but it is my car's health after all."