View Single Post
Old 01-03-2003, 09:47 PM   #56
TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 will become famous soon enoughTwoDeep3 will become famous soon enough

I am not suggesting comments shouldn't be offered. I even made reference to it in the post.

What I am saying is with years of watching the game you gain a certain amount of knowledge. Yet the knowledge you possess isn't in the same stratosphere as even the most inexperienced assistant on the bench.

There are issues you and I never hear about. Things the team keeps to themselves that come out later if at all. And this small amount of knowledge can hold the key to why they didn't pass the ball to Nowitzki late in the game. We just don't know or understand. Yet the coach receives our ire.

This is an example of what I mean by the hubris of knowledge. You made this statement. (By the way I am not taking a shot at you. Just using your words as an example)

"And while probably no one here has as much experience with the complexities of managing a pro team as someone like...say Quinn Buckner, I wouldn't be that surprised if there weren't at least a couple of people here could match the job he did with the Mavericks."

The idea that a man that played division 1 college ball, on a pro team, then coached a pro team could be matched in gametime decisions by spectators that have viewed the team only is really out-of-proportion to reality for me.

There is so much more than X's and O's in this game.

TV is the Tree of Knowledge and we all sup at that tree. But just like the Biblical lore, we can't process the knowledge in a way that can make perfect sense. It is beyond our mortal mentality.

However you are correct that praising a coach is the same side of the coin as taking his game to task. But I just find people on a mesaageboard actually starting threads about wanting another coach when the one they have has the best record in basketball because they, the spectators have some special insight that allows them to see truth beyond the normal pail just a bit on the spoiled side.

The grass is always greener to all the fans but the ones of the team with the most recent Championship.

However, having said all this, I do it as well. So I stand convicted along with everyone else.