View Single Post
Old 05-06-2006, 09:12 AM   #3
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

Dampier back on his feet

After last year's playoff flop, center giving Mavs just what they need

[By David Moore / The Dallas Morning News]

It was about this time last year that the townsfolk gathered in Lots C and D with their pitchforks, ready to storm American Airlines Center and chase him out of Dallas.

Erick Dampier survived. And while it's a stretch to say he's flourished, the Mavericks center has been a solid, consistent contributor for the last three months.

Lowered expectations and an altered role have helped. The coaching staff once feared a move to the bench would cause Dampier to retreat into his shell. The opposite has been true. Dampier has embraced his role as DeSagana Diop's backup, playing with an enthusiasm that was too often lacking in last year's playoff run.

Dampier has averaged 2.25 blocked shots in the playoffs to rank fourth, one spot ahead of one of his most frequent critics, Shaquille O'Neal. His average of 8.8 rebounds leads the Mavericks. His defense on Pau Gasol was a big part of the team's first-round sweep of Memphis.

Dampier appears much more at ease this time around. He's even spending extra time in the gym with Dirk Nowitzki and Jason Terry, something that didn't happen last year.

"I think it's his focus, accepting his role," Terry said. "Now he knows what we need from him off the bench, and he's bringing that every night consistently.

"There was a lot of pressure on him last year, me and him, it being our first time in the playoffs. I think he's handling it a lot better this year."

There were some positive moments last year. But the pattern became frustratingly familiar for teammates and fans. Dampier would follow every good game with a bad one. Or two. Maybe even three. He would take himself out of games by picking up two quick fouls and earning a spot on the bench.

"Some of the fans are fair weather," Dampier said. "When you're rolling and playing good, they're on your bandwagon. When you're having a bad game, or two or three bad games, everybody says, 'Who is that guy? We don't like him any more.'

"You take the good with the good and the bad with the bad."

The worst came in Game 1 of the second round against Phoenix. O'Neal and Washington coach Eddie Jordan had already taken swipes at Dampier from afar. He then went out and was humiliated by Amare Stoudemire. The Suns' big man outscored Dampier, 40-0, in that game, a performance that prompted Nowitzki to yell at the Mavs' center on the court.

Dampier played better the remainder of the series but was still erratic as the Mavericks were eliminated in six games.

"I got a chance to experience it, see what it is like, see what the level of play is like, see how consistent you have to play and how hard you have to play," Dampier said. "With that behind me, I know what I have to do for this year's playoffs. I have to come out and leave it all on the floor."

Avery Johnson stuck with Dampier for the first two months of this season. But the Mavericks' coach is big on reading body language, and Dampier's wasn't good. He moved Diop into the starting lineup Jan. 14.

Diop has played well. But Dampier is usually on the floor to close out games. Johnson said "Damp has taken our center position to another level" with how he's responded to the move.

It's not about scoring. It's about rebounding, defense, setting screens and playing with energy.

"I think this is the probably the most appreciated he's ever felt," assistant coach Del Harris said. "He views himself as a necessary part of a system that demands that type of player."

A player the Mavericks need to move forward.

"If people are talking about me, that makes me think they're thinking about me," Dampier said. "They can keep on talking about me if they want."

So far, that's been a good thing.

Last edited by kriD; 05-06-2006 at 09:13 AM.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote