Thread: Wackonomics
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2009, 03:28 PM   #85
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of s___ we don't learn from history....

Quote:
Obama must get Fortune 500 to delay job cuts: economist
Prominent economist suggests a White House-endorsed national freeze in job cuts

By Greg Robb, MarketWatch

(MarketWatch) - It is fine for the White House to limit bank CEO pay, but the real urgency is for President Obama to get corporate chief executives to stop slashing their payrolls, says a prominent economist.

Layoffs at America's largest companies are only weakening the economy at a perilous time, said Lawrence Chimerine, who was chairman of the economic firm WEFA Group and prior to that was manager of economic research at IBM Corp.

Chimerine is proposing that the White House call for a "national initiative" in which Corporate America would agree to temporarily put a freeze on further job cuts - probably for three or four months - which he says would allow the Obama stimulus package to take hold.

Chimerine spoke on a conference call this week supporting the Obama stimulus plan. He said he was "in the process" of raising his idea with Obama and his economic team.
Seems reasonable enough -- I'd argue against the economics, but really the reason I put this in "Wackonomics" is because I'm willing to bet that this guy doesn't have a clue that this sort of "initiative" that he wants to shoot to Obama was a key part of Hoover's plan....

We're still on the front end of the depression, Bush/Obama are still making Hoover's mistakes -- they haven't even started to repeat FDR's mistakes yet.

Last edited by alexamenos; 02-06-2009 at 03:29 PM.
alexamenos is offline   Reply With Quote