View Single Post
Old 01-23-2011, 12:51 AM   #38
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Cleveland is not in the luxury tax.

I don't have any actual insight like BG, but I absolutely believe that the stance on long term contracts is very real and not at all a bargaining position. Sure the owners would like to find ways to keep players from moving and leaving them with nothing. But their first priority is going to be to lower their costs, which could mean shorter contracts, less guarantees, and maybe a harder cap.

None of it may come to pass, and there will probably some sort of "grandfather" process to easy any transition, but the prudent thing is still to be cautious and leave yourself in a good position no matter the outcome.
Strange cuz ESPN trade machine has them 14 million over the cap... Is this because of the Lebron TE or something? I admittedly don't understand all of the salary-cap stuff precisely.
Like i said in my post above i'd be a little disappointed if the FO passed on a superior player for a lesser one or,worse, no move at all due to future fiscal concerns. I'm all for getting good value. But as good as this team looked before Dirk and Caron's injuries it'd be a shame not to get the best player available if the cost in assets isn't exorbitant.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote