View Single Post
Old 04-06-2004, 01:37 PM   #17
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:New polls out, Bush slip sliding away

Quote:
Originally posted by: Mavdog
I see a trend in the Pew poll that should be very disconcerting to the Bush campaign;

"The president continues to receive majority support for his handling of terrorism (53% approve), down from 64% last September. Bush's ratings on this issue also declined in other national polls following allegations by former White House aide Richard Clarke that the administration did not treat terrorism as an urgent priority before Sept. 11."

So there has been a approx. 20% decrease in the public's opinion of GWBush's handling of the War on Terror. With the campaign putting the War on Terror as their front and center issue, they better hope that there is no further erosion in the public's support or there's trouble in November.

My expectation is that the dem campaign will hammer the Iraqi situation as a distraction in the war against al Queda. That will have traction IMHO as the justification for the invasion is shown to not be based as much as an extension of the War of Terror as it is other rationale less easily defended. Bush hasn't seen "the demos best punch", that'll come closer to the election.
There has been a change in public perception vis a vis the Bush administration's counter-terrorism policies and initiatives because Clarke's allegations/book campaign got long and loving coverage from the media. Again, I predict that Rice's testimony will counter any negative trend.

If by "other rationale less easily defended" you mean the "U.S. wants Iraqi oil" argument, that discordant, one-note samba of a song only seems get to play abroad. Fortunately, Europeans won't be voting in November.

Finally, do you have a sense of what the Dims' next "best punch" will be? Or are you just hoping there is one.

MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote