Thread: Euro 2008
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2008, 03:23 AM   #44
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

Last four games I watched

Germany-Croatia 1-2

I think the Croatians are always a tough match-up cause of their pride and their hard play, which often borders on dirty and dangerous. But I give them credit for defending well. They didn't give the Germans much room to create plays and the Germans lacked effort and ideas. Too many high balls into the penalty area by the Germans for my taste, which didn't present much problems for the tall Croatian defenders. The second goal was an easy tip-in after a lucky bounce off the post, but again the German defenders where a step too slow.

Austria-Poland 1-1
Austria created a lot of chances during the first half, but wasted all of them. That's usually gonna hurt you in the end, and it almost did. The ref was very generous to give the penalty. I think even the Austrians were a bit surprised to get this gift.

The Germans should be the second team going to the next stage, but when they face Portugal then, that'll probably their last game of the tournament.

Italy-Romania 1-1

The 1-1 draw was a fair result for both, Italy and Romania. They had equal amounts of good chances and the Romanians didn't look like the weaker team at all. I am happy that Mutu didn't convert the penalty. That will make the Italy-France game much more exciting to watch. The Romanians might be as good as Italy and France, but I still prefer one of those two going through to the next round. You want to have some big names in the quarter finals besides the Netherlands, Portugal, and Spain.

France-Netherlands 1-4

The France-Netherlands match was probably the best game so far and might become the best game of the whole tournament. Both sides were attacking and running, France more after conceding the first goal, and they created a lot of opportunities. The result could have been much different if France were awarded a penalty after a Dutch defender blocked the ball with is hand while falling down (tough call; the shot might have gone in otherwise) and if Henry made that lob over van der Sar. Is Henry getting old? He would have made that play 9 of 10 times in his Arsenal days. I think van der Sar is the best keeper of the tournament so far by a mile. He made some spectacular saves during the Italy game and now against France. Robben made a spectacular goal. With two defenders on him he managed to shoot the ball from a tight angle over the defenders and the keeper. That was not only a tough shot but also the game decider.

Italy and France look about the same right now. They might play to a draw and Romania could advance on three points. That would be shocker.

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote