View Single Post
Old 05-28-2014, 07:02 PM   #191
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Bummer. It has gotten really good reviews so far so I'm a smidge surprised.
A lot of big budget summer movies seem to be getting undeserved good reviews, post-Avengers - especially Marvel/Disney properties. Sure, X-Men was made by Fox, but it's still a Marvel comic... Methinks payola is alive & well.

Days of Future Past was X3 & First Class pulped together into a big mess - typical character overload that you've come to expect from the mediocre X-Men/Wolverine franchise... I'd say it's the second-best X-Men movie after X2, but that's not saying much (in my opinion).

Vague spoilers/gripes below (no plot details beyond the trailers):

- Wolverine serves ZERO narrative purpose in the third act and contributes absolutely nothing to the resolution of the plot... Yet he's still there, even though the story doesn't need him and even has a convenient way of removing him without killing him off.

- I never quite figured out why future Magneto thought the 70s version of himself would be any help - it's as if he forgot about what a giant asshole he used to be... Dude was the opposite of helpful.

- Anna Paquin was billed 7th in the credits, despite having only 2 seconds of screen time.

- Needed more Quicksilver... Fox totally bombed an opportunity to milk their most entertaining character since Wolverine showed up in X1.

- Holy hell, there are big enough plot holes in the franchise continuity to fly an entire squadron of Sentinels through... They would've been smarter to just stick with the First Class timeline instead of shoving the mess of the original trilogy into the fold. They broke more than they fixed - the only reason people don't realize that is because the X-Men movies have been largely forgettable since X2.

- Peter Dinklage was completely wasted (and I don't mean drunk, unfortunately...)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 05-28-2014 at 08:32 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote