View Single Post
Old 06-28-2005, 09:17 PM   #92
freestyle

freestyle has a spectacular aura aboutfreestyle has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Shawn Bradley set to retire

I'm sure Shawn wants to retire before his injuries mount and cause more problems for him later in life.

I was never a big Shawn fan as he got posterized too much for my tastes. However, I did think he showed some pluck out there and was clearly a first rate individual.

You can say that Nelson didn't treat him right, but Nelson was Shawn's biggest fan. Nelson believed in Shawn from the very start back in 1993. Shawn's failure to become a marquee player also said something about Nelson.

Quote:

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/11009388.htm

.... Golden State, however, coached at the time by crafty, but idiosyncratic Don Nelson, also coveted Bradley. Nelson loved the game's oddities, too, and had a previous extended dalliance with Bol during which he encouraged the player to attempt three-point field goals. So Nelson took a backseat to no one when it came to pursuing unusual ideas.

Orlando could have simply drafted Hardaway and let the rest play out, but the Magic front office saw other possibilities, including getting Hardaway but not having to pay him as a No. 1 pick. The Magic offered to draft Bradley for Golden State, if the Warriors would take Hardaway for them and toss in, say, three first-round picks.

Nelson agreed, and the Sixers could have shrugged, taken Webber as a very reasonable consolation prize, and continued their rebuilding in a different direction. But the Sixers were nothing if not dogged in their pursuit of Bradley. They called the Magic and said that if Orlando drafted Bradley, the Sixers would then draft Hardaway and they could pound sand trying to get him.

Orlando was taken aback by this turn of events, and an internal debate raged so strongly that head coach Matt Guokas was kicked upstairs that day, replaced by Brian Hill. The end result was that the deal between Orlando and Golden State changed. In exchange for three first-round picks, Orlando promised not to draft Bradley (and double-cross the Warriors by trading him to the Sixers).

Orlando took Webber instead, the Sixers landed Bradley, and Golden State picked Hardaway. Webber and Hardaway were immediately swapped even-up.

That night, the Magic and the Sixers were the winners, at least in their minds. Each team had gotten the player it wanted. Golden State wanted Bradley, but was left with Webber.
Shawn doesn't have it so bad, though. Must be nice to get paid millions to retire. Doesn't work that way for most people! What a union....

freestyle is offline   Reply With Quote