View Single Post
Old 05-06-2012, 09:24 AM   #386
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus1234 View Post
In the last decade there were ~10 elite franchise players.

-Dirk
-Garnett
-Shaq
-Kobe
-Duncan
-Lebron
-Wade
-Durant
-Dwight
-Paul (add Nash, Iverson, Kidd if you want)
Thanks for making my point. Look at the franchises that these players started with, and tell me which ones have had the success of the Mavs. You have two teams. Two.

If you want to say Miami, fine, but that helps my point even further, because Miami did EXACTLY what Dallas is doing now. They won a championship with a superstar and old players. Then they tore it all down and made the huge free agent splash. That's the blueprint we're trying to follow.

Quote:
But in my opinion Dirk was nothing else than KG in Minessota. And yes, he made the playoffs every year, unlike KG,..... because Dirk is simply the better player.
So Dirk is so much better than KG that he took equivalent rosters and was a perennial contender while Garnett missed the playoffs and contended one season??? THAT'S your stance? Dude, that is absurd.

Garnett is THE example of what can happen to a franchise that doesn't know how to build around a superstar. Yes, the Mavs failed to land the second superstar, but they did a DAMN fine job of building three different rosters that competed for titles (oh, and won one). And Dirk obviously gets a huge share of the credit for that. But he doesn't get all of it. That's absurd.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote