View Single Post
Old 06-24-2011, 08:33 AM   #82
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmalaki View Post
Dirk's playoff numbers are 26, 10, 3 on 46%, 38% and 89%. This is through 11 playoff seasons. Let's just say his best run was either the 27, 12 from 06 or what he did this postseason.

Karl Malone's playoff numbers are 25, 10, 3 on 46% (no need to even post his ft or 3 point %, which Dirk obviously kills him in). This is through 19 playoff seasons. He had quite a few playoff seasons that were higher than Dirk's best (stats wise). They both had their first playoff season at the age of 22 and got 11 postseasons at the age of 32. His numbers obviously declined over the next 7 seasons, when he played until he was 40. At some point in time Dirk will age, unless he suddenly retires, and his playoff numbers will also decline. He will not finish with better playoff numbers than Karl Malone. They are basically identical now with Malone having multiple post prime seasons included in his numbers. For example, through his first 11 postseasons Malone's playoff numbers were 27, 12, 3 on 47%.

We are talking about all-time rankings, right? This is the problem when you compare a dude currently playing to a dude who is retired. Do you expect Dirk's playoff numbers to never dip? I expect them to fall as he ages, similar to most orher players. Now on the flip side, the Mavs could win the next 2 titles and then of course the whole convo changes completely. But if we are talking as of today, I still think Dirk is in that 20 and above range and I think it's possible for him to get to that 15-20 range. I just think that top 15 is a hard sucker to crack, and I don't expect him to get there.
Actually, Karl Malone had exactly 2 playoff runs where his PER was higher than Dirk's career playoff average.

Dirk's career playoff PER: 24.7
Malone's high: 25.8 and then 25.0

Dirk has had 5 seasons in which his playoff PER was higher than Malone's highest.

Malone had 9 seasons in which his per was below 20.
Dirk has never had a season in which his playoff per was below 20.9.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote