View Single Post
Old 07-22-2009, 06:10 PM   #51
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin View Post
and c) was an important event. That you keep avoiding that...
sorry...I didn't realize you were saying the toppling of Saddam's Statue was an important event.

It wasn't an important event, it was a simple army psy-ops mission. I'm not avoiding the point, it's just that the event in and of itself wasn't of any significance other than as a piece of propaganda.

Quote:
Military action was ongoing. They picked it up in preparation for war.
So....military actions which include dropping bombs on another country is not 'war', but preparation for war in your view? In my view dropping bombs on another country is war, but clearly that's a crazy way of looking at things.

Quote:
It's easier, simpler, and more accurate to say that it would have confused the debate.
Yes, certainly the fact that we were already at war with iraq would have added an element of confusion to the debate of whether we should go to war. I can't argue with you there.

Quote:
blah, blah, black helicopters and mind control.
I don't think black helicopters are relevant (or any other colored helicopters for that matter), but as for mind control....

Quote:
Psychological Operations (PSYOP, PSYOPS) are techniques used by any set of groups to influence a target audience's value systems, belief systems, emotions, motives, reasoning, and behavior. ...The use of such euphemisms for what is in effect "mind control" is itself an example of psychological operations, i.e. using psychological techniques to persuade a large number of people to support something that they wouldn't normally support.
Yeah, mind control, call it whatever euphemism you might prefer. As Bernays said (approvingly)...

Quote:
The conscious and intelligent manipulation of the organised opinions and habits of the masses is an important element in democratic society.
It's an interesting thing to study and there's a bit more to it than a maverick owner telling white lies about his ham-fisted center.