View Single Post
Old 07-22-2010, 12:33 PM   #86
Zki41

Zki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to all

I think we have a better chance than most may think in terms of getting a trade done. I've heard LA, Orlando, New York, Portland, and Dallas in the competition.

LA doesn't have any true young/talents or expirings. Odom, Bynum, Pau, Bryant, Artest are all on long term contracts. Either the Hornets are not interested, or the Lakers would not give in this instance.

New York has lots of young talent, but in order to match match the potential salary dump of Okafor and Posey, they would literally have to shell out their whole team, full of young talent. That's Gallinari, Chandler, Walker, Randolph, Douglas, Azubuke, Turiaf, etc. I'm not sure it's reasonable for them to part with that for Chris Paul cause they would not have a team outside Chris Paul and Stoudemire. They have no picks either. I think they maintain cap flexibility and a roster of young talent and try to pick up Parker and Anthony in free agency and Paul when he gets to that point.

Portland I haven't done my research on, too lazy too right now.

Orlando has talent, but some of it is redundant, and none of them are cap-friendly, affordable short-term contracts other than Pietrus (who is their only expiring). Also, one of their biggest pieces, Nelson, is probably something New Orleans isn't looking for. They already have a point guard, no need to take on a huge financial burden. They may be interested in Bass and Gortat and Pietrus ... though I think the ceiling on those players has become somewhat evident. I doubt they want any piece of Vince Carter or Rashard Lewis. J.J. Redick is also another attractive option. The problem is even if B/G/P/J are good options, Orlando has no expirings to make up the other half of the salary they would have to give back and that's probably a deal breaker.

As for Dallas.

I would try to push:

Paul/Okafor/Posey

for

Roddy/Chandler/Ajinca/Stevenson/Terry/Barea, two firsts and cash for a potential Jason Terry buy out after this season.
(Also, this has to be after September 13th so Chandler/Ajinca can be traded with other players)

I really want to hold on to Butler since we need him to be that third option on offense. While I would go for Paul regardless, Paul + Dirk + offensive role players may not be able to get the job done. We may end up having to put in his contract and keep Terry :/

Paul/Kidd
Butler/DoJo
Marion/Posey
Dirk/x
Haywood/Okafor/Mahinmi

I think Okafor and Posey are not very bad acquisitions.

Posey means we will have a good defensive role player on the floor at all times. Posey can shoot from behind the arc as well, giving us a little bit of variety at that spot. Marion is obviously better for the garbage points.

Okafor, while not the most athletic player, would do well as a back up center, especially since all we really need him to do is rebound and get easy points. Obviously, he's overpaid, but thats the price to get Paul.
Zki41 is offline   Reply With Quote