View Single Post
Old 04-29-2014, 10:15 AM   #39
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
I don't see how that has anything to do with free agency... And he said repeatedly that Donald Sterling is a disgusting bigot who he doesn't want to be associated with in the NBA.

But he does have a point about precedence. Where does it stop once you set a legal framework? Could an owner get booted for criticizing the league?
I think Cuban's statements here will be used against him (or at least taken into account)--by players' agents and advisors, and possibly the GMs of other teams in some cases when it comes time to decide where to sign.

This is going to be such an extremely, primally emotional issue for so many players, at least for the forseeable future, that I don't think even a salesman like Cuban would be able to intellectualize or nuance away anything less then categorical opposition to Sterling's remaining an owner.

Given the Mavericks' recent record of success in attracting free agents such as Deron Williams, Dwight Howard, and LeBron James (who has already said he wouldn't play for Sterling and that there was no room for Sterling in the NBA), I'm not sure Cuban's comments here are tipping the balance in favor of the Mavericks in future decisions. Silence would have been a better option, IMO.
Jack.Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote