View Single Post
Old 09-13-2005, 09:17 AM   #15
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: ESPN's TOP 10 football Players

Funny thing about people's view on Running backs.....everyone wants to see the good sides of the ones they like, and they overlook the bad sides.

No one can debate that Emmitt Smith is the leader in yards. I really don't think anyone could convince me that he didn't have the best vision between the tackles in the game ever. Is this the criteria you judge a RB for? Brown (who I didn't personally see) is said to be --- but that just means that the media liked him -- his yards per carry is what is impressive though. Sanders was the most explosive and most likely to lose/gain yards player I ever saw. He cost his teams much, but gave them much also. Is this explosiveness what you judge a RB by? Payton was an awesome RB as well, best of the overall explosive/speed/power backs, but how is a RB judged?

IMO, (since the 70's)
If you fail to take into consideration longevity, the best 10 backs of all time, in this order are.
1) Earl Campbell -- didn't do it long, but he had it all. Strength, explosiveness, power, Speed -- and did it 30 times a game
2) Jim Brown -- just seen too much tape, and heard too much.... his yards per carry was awesome.
3) Bo Jackson -- no longevity, but man did he have power, explosiveness, could take it inside or outside... incredible athlete
4) Emmitt Smith -- best vision between the tackles ever -- could always find the crease. longevity made him the rushing champ.
5) Barry Sanders -- most explosive back ever -- more lateral quickness and escapability than anyone.
6) Walter Payton -- Sweetness -- made it look too easy -- the type back most teams will always be looking for.
7) Terrell Davis -- power, between the takles, and explosiveness....... what would have have been without the injuries?
8) Eric Dickerson -- power, between the tackles, and explosiveness ...... wow he was fun to watch
9) OJ Simpson -- power, speed, much like Walter Payton..... solid back who could be awesome and take over games
10) Tony Dorsett -- pure speed.... much like Barry Sanders without as much escapability

Honorable mention -- Marshall Faulk, Franco Harris, John Riggins, Roger Craig

I realize that this is all arguable, and flipping the order depends on who you thought did the better job at what ever aspect of a RB that you are desciding is important. This is my opinion though, of the ones that I have watched. I know their are some older backs that were pretty good as well, but really OJ is about as far back as I go.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote