View Single Post
Old 05-17-2007, 10:10 AM   #110
DelNegro

DelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Smoov
You still dont get it, because you just proved my point that we COULD get Billups w/o trading for him. That is my whole point. There are two options. Trade or sign him from free agency. There is no such thing as only real way to get him like you suggested above. The Mavs can sign him or trade for him. So, that makes any point that you made or others that we can ONLY trade for him NOT correct. Now, I dont know what Billups wants to do or I dont even know what situation his family is in, but I have seen stranger things when it comes to wanting to get out of town for a reason. How bout, would Billups sign a 1-year deal with the Mavs, and get back on the market next season? I think this is a possible situation as well. Could Cuban have something up his sleeve that he can land Billups? I dont know, but I do know it is being talked about seriously here.
To sign him assumes he would be willing to give up tens of millions of dollars. This is highly unlikely since by NBA standards he's been underpaid for quite some time now and this offseason represents the best chance he'll ever have to cash in during his entire career.

To trade for him assumes the Pistons are going to be interested in whatever you think the mavs should give up for him. Terry would be the obvious choice on the mavs end, but would the Pistons want him and the bloated contract Cuban gave him last year? The Pistons are going to be flirting with luxury tax land and while you definitely pay lux tax to keep Chauncey Billups around, do you really want to risk paying luxury tax over Jason Terry? Pistons don't need or want Dampier, Howard's BYC so he's hard to trade, Harris doesn't make enough to match salaries. What else is there? Sometimes getting nothing isn't the worst case scenario in a transaction so the Pistons aren't going to take garbage and a bunch of salary cap dead weight just to say they didn't let Billups get away for nothing. They'd just let him walk and go get another PG in free agency.

Basically, Billups is a pipe dream. He likes Detroit, Detroit likes him, and Detroit can pay him. He's going to sign a big money deal to stay there.