View Single Post
Old 04-24-2024, 10:05 AM   #31
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
WAR is a great way to contextualize value. Very few people are the top 2 or 3 in MLB for any extended period. Trout from 2012 to 2019 was clearly the best player in baseball. I don't have any issue with his position. He was a plus hitter and a plus-plus fielder. Sure fire first ballot hall of famer next year. If not for a blunder by Ron Washington in putting a competent defender in the bottom of the 11th for Nelson Cruz, he would have a ring. Ironically, Washington decided at the last minute not to put the defensive replacement in because he wanted Nelson Cruz to be able to run in from Right Field and celebrate the WS win. Having said that the fact that the Rangers just pulled off their first makes the pain of 2011 go away.
I concur that there are very few players that are too 2-3 in the league over an extended period of time. In retrospect, I think you could extend that out to Beltre rarely being a top 5-7 player. I would have to go back and review year by year. Regardless, it doesn?t change my opinion. I wouldn?t have put Beltre that high because I don?t think he had a good enough of a 5-7 year peak. But that?s just me. Some people are going to place more value on his ability to play at a high level throughout the course of his career. That doesn?t make them wrong or me right. Their criteria is just a bit different than mine.

As for Ron Washington, that was an absolutely idiotic decision that he made for any absolutely idiotic reason. I can?t say I?ll ever forgive him for that.

Last edited by Murphy3; 04-24-2024 at 10:06 AM.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote