View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012, 12:41 AM   #55
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
I think there are several reasons for this. Less chance of a turnover (as you mentioned), etc. But also, generally teams are running ISOs like that because they have a very, very good player. VC is not a very, very good player. I'm totally fine with running a basic face-up or ISO with Dirk, Kobe, Lebron/Wade, CP3, etc., but I'm much less keen on the idea when we're down into the VC tier.

I'm no coach, and I'm certainly no Carlisle, but my general rule on end-of-game plays is: if you have more than 12-15 seconds and you don't have a clear-cut star player, the play should usually involve at least one pass. If there's no opportunity in the play to make even a single useful pass, maybe the play isn't very well designed. I realize that's really simplistic, so I don't mean it to sound like an absolute. Just a general guideline I like.
I'm thinking it's also time management and vulnerability to double teams. Even a player of present-day Vince's caliber, for example, can pretty reliably get a shot off at a time of his own choosing in a clear-out iso situation (last night was evidence of this), and if he's smart enough to attack to the side where the offensive team has stationed it's preeminent three point marksman (Vince did exactly that), he can probably count on not having to deal with a double team (or if the double does come, on having an accurate shooter to pass the ball to).

Compare that to a post-up. It's easier for the defense to deny the entry pass, easier for them to bring a double-team, and the offense is actually probably looking at at least three passes, not just one (one into the post, one back out when the double comes, and then either a re-post or movement of the ball around the perimeter). Even with guys who are excellent at feeding the post, establishing position in the post, and passing out of double teams in the post, the amount of time that play will take to yield a shot is a relatively uncertain proposition. It's good basketball if clock management isn't an issue, but when the shot has to go up in a specific and narrow time interval, I think it becomes problematic.