View Single Post
Old 03-24-2004, 12:20 AM   #561
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:What is spinning in your CD player right now?

Quote:
Originally posted by: ocelot_ark
Quote:
Originally posted by: OutletPass
Joss Stone - The Soul sessions.

A 16 year old white girl from England who sings like a 300 pound Aretha..

Saw here this weeekend at SXSW....

Oh, shyte...total greatness.

SHE HAD ME AT...."I'M AN UNREQUITED WOMAN"..
Since Veruca set the precedence...

I can't believe anyone actually listens to that crap. Correct me if I'm wrong, but did she write any of the songs on that album? Aren't they all covers? Isn't it common practice for an artist to atleast come out with a few solo albums before they try a cover album.

I sampled a few of her tunes with OP's glowing recommendation in mind, and to be frank was kinda disappointed. Clearly 300-lb. Arethae don't come along every day. (Helen Terry, otoh--now THERE was a bona fide soul sistuh.)

Maybe it was just the songs I sampled, but she sounded a little thin, and stayed in a fairly narrow range, with some pretty pedestrian material.

Then again, she's only what....16? She has plenty of room to grow.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote