View Single Post
Old 12-15-2010, 07:10 AM   #141
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
IGGY'S numbers are considerably down this year (PPG, FG %, Three point percentage, free throw percentage) at this stage I think he is just a small upgrade over Butler not really worth it
It's certainly debatable how much of an upgrade he would be, but what do you mean by "not really worth it?" Not worth what exactly? If you mean his salary, I would say his contract is quite reasonable. (3 years for roughly 44 mil, and the last year is unguaranteed if I'm not mistaken.) Given his level of production and the fact that he's only about to turn 27, that's by no means a bad contract.

If you're worried we'd have to give up too much for him, as GMC pointed out earlier, it's pretty unlikely that teams are going to break the bank for him. If the deal is say, Iggy for Butler, Ajinca/Mahinmi, Dojo and a future pick, I would do that seven days a week and twice on Sunday. Maybe that's too optimistic, but again, I honestly don't see other teams willing to offer a much more. It wouldn't be much different than the way the Mavs got Butler for Howard. Butler is a very productive player with a large expiring contract, and those are a valuable commodity indeed in today's NBA.

We also need to consider what the Mavs' plans are beyond this season. Honestly, what do you think is the best course of action here? Due to his expiring contract, Butler is clearly the odd man out here. If we don't trade him before the deadline, then we either re-sign him or simply let his contract expire. Neither of those options appeal to me much at all. (Also, I'm not clear how the salary cap/Bird rights works. Is it even possible to re-sign both Butler and Chandler in the same season?) Whatever the case, the Mavs have a bit flexibility now which they probably won't have next season. Given the fact that our championship window is probably only 2 years or so, if they have a chance to move Butler for an upgrade, even if it's only a small upgrade, I say it would be just plain stupid not to take that chance (and frankly I think Iggy is more than a small upgrade over Butler.)

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 12-15-2010 at 07:54 AM.
Thespiralgoeson is online now   Reply With Quote