View Single Post
Old 12-15-2010, 09:13 AM   #142
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
It's certainly debatable how much of an upgrade he would be, but what do you mean by "not really worth it?" Not worth what exactly? If you mean his salary, I would say his contract is quite reasonable. (3 years for roughly 44 mil, and the last year is unguaranteed if I'm not mistaken.) Given his level of production and the fact that he's only about to turn 27, that's by no means a bad contract.
Yes, it absolutely is a bad contract. The final year is fully guaranteed. It's not horrendous, but it's a long contract for a lot of money for a low end second banana or high end third banana.

Quote:
If you're worried we'd have to give up too much for him, as GMC pointed out earlier, it's pretty unlikely that teams are going to break the bank for him. If the deal is say, Iggy for Butler, Ajinca/Mahinmi, Dojo and a future pick, I would do that seven days a week and twice on Sunday. Maybe that's too optimistic, but again, I honestly don't see other teams willing to offer a much more. It wouldn't be much different than the way the Mavs got Butler for Howard. Butler is a very productive player with a large expiring contract, and those are a valuable commodity indeed in today's NBA.
I think it's very unclear just how valuable expiring contracts are this season. With the threat of the lockout, owners may not be as concerned with shedding salary this season if they won't have to pay it next season. And it's unclear what will happen to the salary structure with the new CBA. It might make a team like Philly more desperate to get rid of a long contract like Iggy's, but it might also take the luster off expiring contracts. I'm not sure we have enough information right now.

Quote:
We also need to consider what the Mavs' plans are beyond this season. Honestly, what do you think is the best course of action here? Due to his expiring contract, Butler is clearly the odd man out here. If we don't trade him before the deadline, then we either re-sign him or simply let his contract expire. Neither of those options appeal to me much at all. (Also, I'm not clear how the salary cap/Bird rights works. Is it even possible to re-sign both Butler and Chandler in the same season?) Whatever the case, the Mavs have a bit flexibility now which they probably won't have next season. Given the fact that our championship window is probably only 2 years or so, if they have a chance to move Butler for an upgrade, even if it's only a small upgrade, I say it would be just plain stupid not to take that chance (and frankly I think Iggy is more than a small upgrade over Butler.)
Yes the Mavs can re-sign Butler and Chandler if they so choose (assuming Bird rights don't change with the new CBA, which seems like a long shot).

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote