View Single Post
Old 06-02-2009, 06:00 PM   #17
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirobaito View Post
Right. Because it's me that refuses to understand other points of view.

I've done research. I knew who Sonia Sotomayor was before she was nominated. I know her credentials, and I've read her opinions. Considering the crap that's gone on during Supreme Court nominations over the last 20 years, she is as sure of a candidate as you'll really find. She's more than qualified, and is far from some kind of a left-winger. She's written opinions that supported the now-defunct "Mexico City Policy" with regards to abortion, as well as ones that have supported a white bigot, as well as gun rights. Do you know why? Because she does not use her political opinions to interpret the law.

I've taken a look at the Supreme Court nominee on my own terms, and I don't need Jefferson Beauregard Sessions III (for those scoring at home, that's the rather racist ranking Republican on the Senate Judiciary Committee) or John Cornyn or Rush Limbaugh to tell me what to think. She is not new to the judicial scene, by any means. She's been approved by the Senate before. I'm not saying she should be confirmed tomorrow - but the only reason Republicans want to delay this process is because they're trying to figure out what the hell they can do to gain some kind of political advantage from all this. It has nothing to do with being afraid of her being on the Court, because we have not seen a candidate in a long time who, by any objective measure, is this qualified. This is not Sarah Palin being plucked out of the middle of Alaska to be the vice president. She is not an unknown.

I know that I can talk of my ass sometimes, on certain subjects more than others, but I usually think I know what I'm talking about. In this case, I'm sure that I do. Just because you (of your own admittance) really don't know what you're talking about, it doesn't mean that others don't have some clue.

So your presumption that there is no reason to not support her is the way that we as a society should go...is that what you believe?

Your stating that we should NEVER challenge what those in government are feeding we the people?

It appears to me that you are traveling down a very dangerous road...many many many nations have been destroyed by this thinking, revolutions have been fought over this type of thought.

What if a Republican is in charge and they appoint someone, then its okay to dissent, but now that a Democrat is in charge and people want to explore to see if any dissent should take place, you think its wrong?

Sounds like a clear double standard.

Is this another case of being Drunk with power?

Is it possible that you might be wrong, just as you might be right?

I acknowledge that you might be right...but I'm willing to see if perhaps you might be wrong...are you willing to acknowledge or admit that this is possible?
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote