View Single Post
Old 06-19-2007, 01:04 AM   #4
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting. Seems a bit like a poker game. It looks to me like Philly decided that A) that #23 wasn't worth crap to them anyway, and B) the exclusive negotiating rights were in some way valuable--in fact, more valuable than the crappy draft pick.

As for B, evidently they were right, as they now have both players under lock and key. Now, then, either one of two things is true. Either the Flyers could have had them anyway if they had waited, being willing to pay what would prove to be the highest price, and in doing so gave away the draft pick...or, the players themselves were the dumb ones by not waiting the two weeks to hit the open market.

My guess is that the Flyers could have probably bought them anyway, given what they were willing to spend, but they simply didn't value that draft pick at all--and perhaps were happy to part with it, even--and in doing this deal they locked in the plans they have in mind, which may have a real impact on their short-term moves going forward.

They now have certainty, and perhaps they have even been prescient in predicting future market conditions. Who knows...maybe somebody gets desperate and ponies up even more than what they signed these guys for.

Put it this way: Do you think the Mavs might have enjoyed having a two-week exclusive window with Steve Nash? The situation may be more complex than it at first appears.

As I said, very interesting.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote