View Single Post
Old 05-09-2010, 01:50 PM   #78
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat075 View Post
I'm doubtful Johnson is going to go anywhere, or if he does, I'm doubtful he's coming here.

I also hate the fact that he makes this team even more jump shot centric. Like we don't have enough jump shooters already.

That's the one reason I would consider Iguodala. He drives, dunks, plays good defense.

I don't like that we have two star, likely starting, wing players who can't shoot 3's worth a crap, but I think we can compensate for that with other high percentage shooters.

I suppose if Butler and JET leave and Joe Johnson comes, that jump shooting kind of cancels itself out, and I know JJ is a better jump shooter than the both of them, but I would really like to have a player who would prefer to drive before he shoots a 20 footer.
This perception that Joe Johnson shoots a ton of 20ft jumpers in patently false. It's true that Iggy is a better slasher, but Joe Johnson is hardly simply a jump shooter. Joe Johnson is a big dude for a pretty mobile shooting guard, and you know what that translates into? POSTUPS. The thing people around here are always crying for. Iggy is an all or nothing guy. He's either making a dunk or shooting long 2's and 3's.

Johnson is a much more rounded offensive player who gets his shots from a variety of positions on the floor. I've been poking around Hoopdata looking at where both players get their shot attempts, and it's just further driven home my opinion that Johson is the superior player and better fit for this team. Slashers are nice, but they are almost always more reliant on their teammates for buckets. And yes Joe Johnson takes his fair share of jump shots, but he's hardly a player in the mold of, say, Jason Terry. He's much more well rounded than that.

Also, while he's certainly not in Iguadala's class, I would consider Johnson to be a capable defender.

I also don't understand why people have this notion that Joe Johnson isn't going anywhere. I personally think he's pretty unlikely to go back to Atlanta.

I will end this post with two pictures that I think tell an important story:

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 05-09-2010 at 01:52 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote