View Single Post
Old 05-09-2010, 01:57 PM   #79
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
I don't understand people wanting Iggy over Johnson after watching a series and lamenting the fact that the offense too often devolves into praying Dirk will hit everything.

Andre Iguodala is not a legitimate second scoring option in a half court set. I think a wing playing next to Marion needs to be able to knock down a three point shot. There's a reason the Mavs started working on Butler's three shot the minute he got to town. I think Iggy could easily end up being a step down offensively from Butler at SG.

Now..as _c mentioned, if you can get Iggy without giving up Caron, and you play them together...now that's interesting. In that scenario, Iggy is your primary wing defender, and he's damn good at that. And Marion is your defender off the bench that can just about guard anyone you need him to. I would be on board with something like that, although I'm not intersted in Brand coming back with Iggy and neither are the Mavs.

But if you can get it done, Joe Johnson is a freaking home run imo. Not a grand slam like Wade or Lebron would be, but Joe Johnson on this team would be amazing, and I'm stunned that people are talking themselves into Iggy over JJ.
I can buy it because Joe doesn't attack the basket, he's a jump shooter. When things get tough, what does he do...he keeps shooting jumpers. I'm not sure his situation will magically change if he because 1B or Robin, whatever you want to call him on the Mavericks.

Our offense can easily be predicated by our defense and if the Mavs play good to great defense they can run and don't have to play in the halfcourt as much, thus that makes having a guy like Iggy become a solid advantage: he plays really good defense and can be a force on the break.

I know Joe doesn't have options around him in Atlanta but you are who are you...and he appears to be a jump-shooter. I'm not say I'm jumping off the bandwagon if he comes here, it's just my concern and if you give me a player like Iggy...it should definitely be discussed based on their differences.

edit: I agree that I don't see why there is a perception that he isn't leaving Atlanta. I would think this series against Orlando solidifies the fact he's bolting. He's going to in a Bosh-like situation, he'll be the second domino to fall to run behind Lebron or Wade. Guys him Johnson, Boozer, Amare, Bosh...they're the second piece to the puzzle for those guys. Joe is gonna get paid. If the big spenders like NY or etc can't get Lebron, I can easily see Joe Johnson going to NY.

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 05-09-2010 at 02:00 PM.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote