View Single Post
Old 06-12-2014, 07:19 PM   #67
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayth.james.g View Post
For me all of my "dream" scenarios for the Mavs this summer revolves around trading Calderon. I like the guy but I don't think he is the right fit on the floor with Ellis... and I choose 2013-14 Ellis > any version of Calderon.

I see Calderon as someone we might be able to trade to the Pacers in a deal for either Hibbert or Stephenson (sign and trade). Obviously, Stephenson probably isn't super popular pick at this point, but he has a high ceiling and plays solid D. Can he fill any minutes at the 3?

Overall this is where I am at as far as "hopeful" 2014-15 Mavs roster:

PG- Harris/Larkin
SG- Ellis/Carter/Ledo
SF- Deng (or Ariza)/Crowder/Marion
PF- Dirk/Wright/Marion
C- Hibbert (or Chandler/Gortat)/Dalembert

Okafur scares me too much right now. Only reason I trust Chandler more is because of his history of success medically in Dallas.

Anyways, any thoughts on the probability that the Mavs could trade Calderon this summer? I know he is a reliable passer/ball handler with elite 3 pt skills, but I just dont see his Defense working on the same team as Ellis. Harris + Deng/Ariza solidifies our defense on the perimeter and adding a Hibbert/Chandler changes our inside game tremendously.
First off, welcome! Quality posts right off the bat. I think they'll dip their toes in cautiously to gauge Calderons worth. But I doubt they're in any rush to trade him. I wouldn't be too keen on injury prone Harris as starting pg and T-Rex Larkin backing him up. Ellis is best used as a SG as much as possible.

I would like Ariza at SF- guards multiple positions, shoots the 3 better than and is healthier than Deng. I think prying Ariza or Gortat away from Washington is a long shot though. Either Deng or Ariza though would be upgrades from Marion at this point and both provide at least some of his defensive flexibility and presumably would improve our offense.

If Okafor is healthy he could represent incredible value and flexibility which are some things we know the MBT craves. Also, Okafor would be a great fit as well as he rebounds and moves laterally on defense. And he is by all accounts a great locker room guy and leader. In some ways only Sanders would be a better fit(on the court).

The best thing about this summer is all the flexibility we have right now. There could be two or three relatively safe signings at SF and C. Or there could be some blockbuster trade in the works. Nothing would surprise me. I think they will prize continuity this offseason and add to what's here. Wright, Larkin, Ellington and draft picks will probably be the moving pieces. Core of Dirk, Monta, Jose, Sam, Jae and hopefully Vince and Devin return. Marion and Blair I'm guessing move on. Add a couple draft picks best available SF, Center and swing SG/SF through trade and or FA and try to keep as much flexibility as possible going forward in case a star comes available.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote