View Single Post
Old 04-20-2006, 12:26 AM   #37
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by madape
wow, sounds lke someone offended you. Your hatred overwhelms you. How can anyone expect logic and reason out of someone who goes on a cursing fit every time someone compliments Steve Nash?
Read through a few of my posts. I'm pretty sure this is the only time I've gone on a "cursing fit." And I don't have any problem whatsoever about someone complimenting Nash, as clearly indicated by my agreeing with Chum that he's probably the best PG since Stockton.

Quote:
The Suns have an easy path to the conference finals. They're playing just as well, if not better, than the Mavs or the Spurs have over the last month. I'm not going to say that they're the favorites to win it all, but they have a decent shot. They didn't have that before Steve Nash came. In fact, the Suns were one of the worst teams in the NBA. Nash has had a HUGE part in turnign them from absolute shit to one of the best teams in the NBA.. just like he had a HUGE part in turning this franchise from abslute shit to a championship contender.
He was the missing piece, no doubt. But keep in mind that they didn't have any point guard whatsoever before he came in. A fast-breaking team that's completely dependent on its ability to run the pick and roll is bound to be completely ineffective if it doesn't have a penetrating PG who can do so. But it's not like that team didn't have talent. That team was loaded with young, atheletic, offensively talented players last year, and it still is this year. And as I clearly stated above, I was fine with him winning it last year. And I firmly believe that he was the best player in the playoffs last year. But people act like every single thing that goes right with Phoenix is because of him. It's just not true.

Quote:
He won the MVP last year. He's a favorite to win it this year. So fine, it's an objective award voted on my experts in basketball. You can dismiss if you want by claiming that everyone else in the world isn't as smart as you.
I never said any such thing whatsoever. I never stated that my IQ was higher than anyone else's, merely that I have an objective opinion.

Quote:
But you can't dismiss winning and you can't dismiss playoff success (although some Mav fans like to do exactly that with the 02/03 Mavs). But a word of warning: If the Suns improve on their amazing season from last year by advancing even further into the playoffs this year, you'll just be left looking stupid again.
No, I can't dismiss playoff success, especially when there's not much to dismiss in the first place. You wanna talk about the 03 team, lets do it in another thread, because that debate has MUCH less to do with Steve Nash than it does with the team as a whole. Last year, the Suns made the Mavs look like chickens with their heads cut off, no question. But still, they got slaughtered by the Spurs like the Mavs got slaughtered by the Kings in 02 and in 04. I'm not diminishing what they accomplished, because it was quite amazing that their team was able to win that many games and advance to the conference finals. But still, they haven't proven anything that the Mavericks haven't proven, and none of their success last year makes Steve Nash the MVP this year. And sure, I'll look stupid if the Suns win the title, but if they couldn't beat the Spurs last year, I'm betting they won't do it this year. And if it's the Suns and the Mavs, you best believe I'm picking the Mavs.

And no, I can't dismiss winning games either. Which is why I'm not dismissing the Mavericks, and I'm not dismissing Dirk Nowitzki. The only remotely logical argument for Nash winning the award over Dirk this year is that Dirk had a better supporting cast, and I'm not buying it. You know, Dirk didn't have Amare Stoudemire either. The criteria for MVP seems to have changed from last year. You see, it was apparently clear to the voters last year that Dirk wasn't the MVP because having the third best record in conference simply wasn't good enough. Yet somehow, this year, it is... the Mavs of course being the lone exception in which even 2nd best in the conference is somehow less impressive than the Suns winning six fewer games in a weaker division with about a third of the injury problems. Yeah, they didn't have Amare, but in the latter part of the season, Dirk was missing 4 players from his supporting cast. Stack up the injuries from each teams, and I guarantee the Mavs' were at least as significant as the Suns', yet the Mavs still won more games anyway. And yet, Steve Nash is once again the favorite to win the award, and Dirk barely gets token respect from the so-called experts.

That's what I'm pissed about, Ape. I've no problem with people complimenting Nash. But I have a big problem with people overrating him so.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 04-20-2006 at 12:33 AM.
Thespiralgoeson is online now   Reply With Quote