View Single Post
Old 05-28-2014, 11:59 AM   #181
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
While his "opinions may be unpopular and false, they remain opinions," Sterling's response reads. He also questions whether the NBA is "willing to set a standard that an individual can be punished for voicing a negative opinion.

"If so, such a standard will make short shrift of many players and coaches. It will also needlessly suppress free speech."

Sterling specifically references Orlando Magic owner Richard DeVos, who, in his words, "has made highly controversial comments against individuals with HIV/AIDS and generously supports anti-homosexual causes with impunity."

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/s...nian-penalties
And now an MSNBC host argues the NBA owes reparations for the "sale of black bodies."

Quote:
Originally Posted by MELISSA HARRIS-PERRY
You can’t really talk about reparations and ignore the modern day wealthy Americans who own teams made up predominantly of black men and profit from their bodies and labor.

Mark Cuban, the owner of the Dallas Mavericks, who sounded a note of caution. While Cuban called (Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald) Sterling's remarks "abhorrent," he warned that a blanket call for the NBA to kick Sterling out of the league for something he said in private was, quote, a "very, very slippery slope."

In interviews published this week by Inc. Magazine, Cuban waded even deeper into the complicated discourse on race in this country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARK CUBAN
I know I'm prejudiced. I know I'm bigoted, in a lot of different ways.

Y'know, and I've said this before. If I see a black kid in a hoodie at night on the other side of the street — y'know, on the same side of the street — I'm probably going to walk to the other side of the street. If I see a white guy with a shaved head and lots of tattoos, I'm going back to the other side of the street.
All right so let's review the whole story. Wealthy owners? Check. Profit made from the sale of black bodies? Check. Racial angst? Mmm, check. We're going to have more on the case for reparations after this.
I think time may be working against Silver on getting to a 3/4 vote on termination... Will there be 8 owners spooked by the prospect of future forced sales for unsavory words/thoughts?

Is this ghost ball??

Last edited by DirkFTW; 05-28-2014 at 12:02 PM.
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote