View Single Post
Old 05-14-2009, 04:37 AM   #79
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

Well, hypothetically speaking and pipe dreaming here that 3 teams would make trades w/ Dallas for the sake of dumping salary (Mavs technically do have the assets to acquire these 3 players, and there would be incentive for the other 3 franchises to dump salary):

Jason Kidd
Vince Carter
Gerald Wallace
Dirk Nowitzki
Shaq O'Neal

6th man: JET

Is a starting 5 that is competing for a championship IMO despite lacking any 1st all-NBA caliber players (besides Dirk). And I would say that this would constitute something "HUGE". It's speculative and uncertain as there could be chemistry/injury/age (possibility of Shaq or Kidd or Carter COMPLETELY losing it, or even slight drop in Dirk's efficiency) issues but ON PAPER, that to me is a team that at the very least is competing for a title.

But I agree that marginal upgrades are non-factors. Even if you do somehow sign Artest to the team for the MLE it's not an over the top move assuming no other deals are made. And some people seem to fancy centers like Kaman and Chandler but I don't, not spectacular players and not over the top moves. Overrating them and underrating Damp if you think that makes much a difference.

Buuuuut my main point is I could certainly envision situations where the Mavs can become contenders, it will take some luck/creativity and 2-3 deals though and hopefully others are willing to dump salary.

I dunno if it matters at the end of the day, we might be entering the Lebron era where it'll be damn near impossible to win a title.

Last edited by ghazi; 05-14-2009 at 04:43 AM.
ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote